Friday 9 March 2012

Double Page Spread Construction

THE Construction
The Construction Of My DPS Page
To begin my DPS page i had to make sure that I had an image that was very bold and said a statement about my artists music.

Firstly I obtained an image of my protagonists in a particular position, touching the wall.I decided to play off this position as it gave me an opportunity to add things that weren't necessarily there. That is what gave me the idea for giving her a background of posters of former and currant Hip Hop artists.


Firstly I replicated the page and started place images of the artists and compress them to make a collage. This was done by creating new layers and compressing the image to create a background layer without affecting the quality of the picture.
 This turned out very successful as it gave me a bold edge to work with I wouldn't have to add any other designs to the image.The addition of pop colour provided by the cover of the XXL magazine allowed me to synchronize with the red when I wanted to use this as the quotes and title colour. I then used the untouched original image and used a large eraser tool to create a fading effect as well as fading the edges and then it the faded picture over the collage the create  her presence as well as her being in the beige background.

This turned out incredibly successful and the effect went according to plan, it also allowed me to show a convention of a hip hop magazine by having similar and legendary artists which the new artists to look up to.
I then went on to create the second half of my page. This mainly consisted of the text as I already had an image dominated page. I firstly put the interview text into three columns; making the questions and answers identifiable by the boldness and type of font.
Types of font used:

  • Cartoonist SF
  • Arial
Unfortunately, I found out that I wasn't allowed to use images from the internet so I decided to make a new background image from scratch. Firstly, I used this image.

I went into photo shop and used the patch tool to get rid of the wispy hair in the way of her face and the baby hairs that looked out of place. I then used to copy tool to make sure that the skin was clear all over before used the brightness/contrast tool and bring her skin to life as well as fit in with the quality of the images used during my final product.
I then decided to crop my image so that we could fit in the the double page but then when putting in In-design, the image came out shorter than what I needed.

I then added another layer, creating a quote  by changing the colour of the text and adding a different font. This was carried through as it was used for the title of the artist and the introduction strap line. I then added yet another layer as I wanted to figure out a way to put a larger letter rather than the original increased font size. So I decided to add a thick  big letter A for along and add editing. Firstly I had to Aline the letter with the whole page so that the A would be an even size.

It was then followed by adding the transparency tool and applying it to the letter, further I added it to the back so that there was no chance that text would be left behind. This effect is used as a convention in music magazines but usually as a block colour. I feel that I have successfully reinforced and challenged the stereotypes of a hip hop magazine.   



All that was left of my music magazine was to figure out the fonts colour scheme that would go well with the other pages such as the front cover and the double contents page. Firstly I tried the mint green that has a place in the contents page. I felt that this went well with the image but it failed to stand out on the white background. I then tried to make a colour scheme of this by adding the fuchsia pink coverline with a black strap line but it failed to come together.
 I felt that maybe I should try to link the colour scheme to existing colours on the page such as the red seen in the corner saying XXL. This then didn't work as it clashed with other parts of the page.
 This was my final colour scheme was when I went back to the beginning and look over the colour scheme. I eventually choose fuchsia pink, golden yellow and all the colours used in the original word remix on the contents.
 My final edit consisted of this after the background image change.
I added the different colour such as the mint green that existed in the front cover and contents page as well as adding a masthead, conventionally seen in most music magazine.


No comments:

Post a Comment